There’s a secret technique used by the US military that helps soldiers fall asleep in two minutes.
When you’re going through those sleepless night, during which you just toss and turn in bed, hoping to fall asleep, but don’t no matter what, you wish you could sleep in just two minutes. Well, the US military sure believes you can.
This method was developed to make sure that soldiers did not miss valuable resting time so that they could be alert when they needed to.
— The Life Pile (@thelifepile) September 3, 2018
Although a “secret”, the technique was revealed in detail in the book Relax and Win: Championship Performance, first published in 1981. It recently resurrected online after Joe.co.uk brought it up.
This is how to do it:
- Relax the muscles in your face, including tongue, jaw and the muscles around the eyes
- Drop your shoulders as far down as they’ll go, followed by your upper and lower arm, one side at a time
- Breathe out, relaxing your chest followed by your legs, starting from the thighs and working down
- You should then spend 10 seconds trying to clear your mind before thinking about one of the three following images:
- You’re lying in a canoe on a calm lake with nothing but a clear blue sky above you
- You’re lying in a black velvet hammock in a pitch-black room
- You say “don’t think, don’t think, don’t think” to yourself over and over for about 10 seconds.
Don’t miss another moment of valuable sleep. I will for sure try this tonight, and every night after that.