Facebook just introduced a new tool that will allow you to launch fundraisers for almost any cause that can cross your mind.
Well, fundraisers on Facebook might not be scams anymore. While the random picture that says one like will donate one dollar to a cancer patient might still be scam, the world’s largest social media platform is actually introducing a real tool to help you raise funds.
Over the next few weeks, the fundraiser tool will be available to people in the US who are or above the age of 18. While still in its beta stage, it will allow people to raise money for themselves, someone else, or a cause.
They are starting with a few categories for criteria for which financial support can be raised, but hopes to expand very soon.
Every fundraiser campaign will undergo a review, that can take as long as 24 hours, before it goes online.
Facebook themselves, will be taking 6.9% of the raised funds, as well as a $0.30 fee, that their websites says will go “to payment processing fees, fundraiser vetting, security and fraud protection”.
The current categories, or suggestions, Facebook states you can raise funds for are:
- Education: such as tuition, books or classroom supplies
- Medical: such as medical procedures, treatments or injuries
- Pet Medical: such as veterinary procedures, treatments or injuries
- Crisis Relief: such as public crises or natural disasters
- Personal Emergency: such as a house fire, theft or car accident
- Funeral and Loss: such as burial expenses or living costs after losing a loved one
The fundraiser tool will with no doubt help many young people get through hard times, whether it is with school payments, medical bills, or even larger causes like charity work in cases of natural disaster and crisis.