What to know

Neymar Transfers To Qatar-Owned Paris Saint-Germain

Brazilian Neymar singed with French Paris Saint-Germain, club owned by Qatar sports investment

The Brazilian football star Neymar has signed a record-deal contract with Paris Saint-Germain (PSG), a French football club owned by Qatar.

Ever since Qatar Sports Investments, headed by Nasser Ghanim Al-Khelaifi, acquired Paris Saint-Germain in 2011, the club has been the one of the richest football clubs in the world. Today, PSG welcomes superstar Neymar Jr. and celebrates record transfer deal.

Neymar’s move from the Spanish FC Barcelona to French PSG has obliterated the world record for highest transfer deal. The player’s former club had put a 222 million euros (QR 966 million) release clause on him, which Qatar-backed PSG paid with ease.

On Thursday, the 25-year-old football icon signed a five-year contract with the 6-time French Ligue 1 winner.

“It is with immense joy and pride that we welcome Neymar Jr to Paris Saint-Germain, said Nasser Al-Khelaifi, who is also President of Paris Saint-Germain. “Neymar Jr is today one of the very best players in world football. His winning mentality, strength of character and sense of leadership have made him into a great player. He will bring a very positive energy to this club,” he added in a statement on the club’s website.

At the young age of 25, the Neymar has represented Brazil through its national team 77, scoring 52 goals, and has achieved 15 titles while playing at club level.

“I am extremely happy to join Paris Saint-Germain, said Neymar Jr after signing his contract. Since I arrived in Europe, the club has always been one of the most competitive and most ambitious. And the biggest challenge, what most motivated me to join my new teammates is to help the club to conquer the titles that their fans want,” PSG’s website quoted their newest player saying.

Adding, “Paris Saint-Germain’s ambition attracted me to the club, along with the passion and the energy this brings. I played 4 seasons in Europe and I feel ready to take the challenge.”

France-based Paris Saint-Germain (PSG) was purchased by Oryx Qatar Sports Investment in 2011

France-based Paris Saint-Germain (PSG) was purchased by Oryx Qatar Sports Investment in 2011.

In 2011, Oryx Qatar Sports Investment became PSG’s biggest shareholder and decision maker upon purchasing a 70% stake in the club. They proceeded to purchase the remaining 30% the following year, granting QSi sole ownership.
The takeover made then-struggling club not only the richest football club in France, but one of the richest in the world. They have since had the purchasing power to sign on star such as Thiago Silva, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Edinson Cavani and David Luiz, and now Neymar da Silva Santos Junior.

PSG is currently the world’s thirteenth most valuable football club, with an estimated net worth of $814 million.

You Might Also Like