What to know

Qatar University Ranks Among The World’s Top Universities

The modern architecture of Qatar University

Qatar University has climbed up the list of Times Higher Education World University Rankings.

Qatar’s very first and only public university has climbed up the list of Times Higher Education’s World University Rankings, from 601-800 last year to 501-600 this year. This puts Qatar University among the world’s top 600 higher education institutions.

Starting off with a total of 150 students, Qatar University was founded as the College of Education in 1973 and was Qatar’s first school for higher education. In 1977 it became the University of Qatar, when four additional colleges were established, the colleges of Education, Humanities & Social Sciences, Sharia, Law & Islamic Studies, and Sciences, with the College of Engineering opening three years later.

Today, the university has seven colleges, they are the College of Education, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Shariah and Islamic Studies, College of Engineering, College of Law, College of Business & Economics, and College of Pharmacy. Its student body represents more than fifty-two nationalities, 65% of whom are Qataris, and the remaining 35% are children of foreigners residing in the country.

The fact that the university made it to the list is highly significant, keeping in mind that many of the world’s top universities were established decades, and even centuries ago.

Even though Qatar’s first official school opened in 1949, the country has been investing heavily in its education sector. In 2012 Qatar’s budget for education was over $6 billion, and has grown significantly since, with a large part of the budget going into development.

With over 147 international schools and a handful of satellite campuses of universities, like Cornell University, Weill Medical College, Carnegie Mellon University, Georgetown University, and University College London, Qatar is growing closer to its National Vision 2030.

You Might Also Like